The History of South Memphis, Memphis
South Memphis, one of the oldest portions of Memphis, Tennessee, is a community stretching from Midtown and Downtown to the Mississippi state line. In its early days, it was primarily an agricultural community. South Memphis is known for its large houses of worship, including Mt. Vernon Baptist Church Westwood, St. Andrew AME Church, Washington Chapel CME Church, and many more. See more here.
South Memphis History
South Memphis was incorporated on January 6, 1846. An election for mayor and eight aldermen was held on the third Saturday of the same month. The boundaries of South Memphis were defined as follows: On the east, south, and west, the boundaries are the same as the South Memphis track, and on the north, the boundary line commences in the center of the Mississippi River, opposite the rise of Union Street. See here for information about Cordova, Memphis is a Family-Friendly Community.
Notable sites in South Memphis include The firehouse known as The Black Arts Alliance, Stax Museum, most famously Elvis Presley’s Graceland mansion, LeMoyne-Owen College, Thomas B. Davis YMCA, Crystal Palace Skating Rink, T.O. Fuller State Park, Southgate Shopping Center, Southland Mall and the historic cemeteries Zion, Rose Hill, Mt Carmel, New Park, and Elmwood.